Don’t get me wrong, I love summer and am sad to see it go. But, with the ending of summer comes the arrival of fall, my most favorite time of year. The changing color of the leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, apple festivals, Halloween, and so much more.
Living in upstate New York where apple farms are abundant and forests full of fall foliage are easy to find, I get to fully experience everything the fall season has to offer. It’s this time of year that I like to get out and travel to local cities and towns to discover their unique fall-related activities.
New York State has an awesome Web site that has a listing of pretty much every possible activity the state has to offer including driving tour recommendations, a fall foliage report, list of farm tours and markets, and so much more.
There are so many events and activities to choose from, but here are some of my more favorites:
- Fall Festivals
There are numerous fall festivals to choose from. Some of my favorites include:
- Naples Grape Festival September 27 and 28 in Naples, NY – sample everything grape, including some famous Finger Lakes wine
- Annual Apple Festival in the Capital-Saratoga region – October 11, conveniently scheduled on Columbus Day weekend for extra travel time
- Adirondack Brewery Oktoberfest October 18 in Lake George – who can resist German food, music and beer!
- Fall Foliage Tours
Beautiful reds, oranges, and yellows that only come around once a year – need I say more…
- The Fall Foliage Sky Ride at Bristol Mountain includes a ride up to the top of Bristol Mountain to view the valley and changing foliage – October 12
- Adirondack Scenic Railroad – checkout the leaves by rail, multiple locations
- Cruise on Skaneateles Lake and The Erie Canal – boat ride with tours of the lake and canal
- Fall Camping
I am a big fan of camping, but even more so in the fall when it’s not so hot or crowded. The Campground Owners of New York has a great guide on their Web site for finding campgrounds in New York.
- Halloween Activities
From haunted hay rides to ghost tours to picking pumpkins, I love all Halloween related activities.
Some other Web sites that have great information on activities for fall in New York:
- Live in the New York City area and looking for fall events and activities? This is the site for you.
- Going to be in the Adirondacks? Find out more about the fall foliage here.
- Listing of New York State festivals
- Listing of fall getaways in New York
There is much to choose from depending on your tastes, but be sure to at least get out and enjoy some of the crisp fall air before the return of another long New York winter.